WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Extended ASCII characters used for injection

From: "Chris Weber" <chris () casabasecurity com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:58:57 -0700

You're right this does boil down to requirements.  However, I would suggest
getting out of the habit of thinking in terms of 'extended character sets'
as if ASCII is the default.  UTF-8 has surpassed all other encodings on the
Web as of 2008.  That means most modern browsers are speaking UTF-8, but
being ASCII-compatible, there may never be a need for a client to send >
0x7F if all your users are English speaking, but even then there's marks and
such....  Back to your point, setup the requirements and if you know you're
application only needs to support certain scripts then setup an allow-only
rule for the specific encodings you expect, not an allow or deny rule based
on the bytes.

PS I made a type, probably obvious, which should say 'if you blocked 0x80 -
0xff'.