WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: Need a real Java web application with vulnerabilities

From: Steve Pinkham <steve.pinkham () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:03:41 -0500

Rogan Dawes wrote:
> Unfortunately, your first requirement seems to suggest against your
> suggestion. :-)
>
> As an open source app, the student would be able to see the change logs,
> and any security announcements for the app, and would be able to make
> use of those to identify known vulnerabilities in that version of the app.
>
> I suggest you look for a project that may have had a history of
> vulnerabilities (suggesting that they may still have others), but assign
> the student to review the current version of the app.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rogan

Unfortunately, as Rogan says, there's really no way for you to guarantee there are flaws in any webapp without knowing what they are.

Based on prior experience, if you take any of your internal department webapps of any complexity and let them work on (a non-production version of) those, there will be flaws. Also, finding less well known open source projects that probably haven't been widely deployed and tested raises the chances it has problems. Extra points for projects that haven't been maintained in a few years and built with slightly older frameworks.

I don't think I've ever turned in a report at the end of an assessment that says everything was done correctly, even when dealing with very competent teams in frameworks with the latest defenses. I doubt finding flaws in an internal app or decent size but not widely deployed open source project unmaintained since early 2000s would be very hard.

Steve
--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Researcher    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |