WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Application Scanners Comparison

From: "love.wadhwa () naukri com" <love.wadhwa () naukri com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:03:54 +0530

Hi anantasec

Probably believe the zipped js files package is corrupt.Please check if
thats it or m doing it the other way.

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 19:44 +0530, anantasec wrote:
Hi all,

In the past weeks, I've performed an evaluation/comparison of three
popular web vulnerability scanners.This evaluation was ordered by a
penetration testing company that will remain anonymous. The vendors
were not contacted during or after the evaluation.

The applications (web scanners) included in this evaluation are:
- Acunetix WVS version 6.0 (Build 20081217)
- IBM Rational AppScan version 7.7.620 Service Pack 2
- HP WebInspect version 7.7.869

I've tested 13 web applications (some of them containing a lot of
vulnerabilities), 3 demo applications provided by the vendors
(testphp.acunetix.com, demo.testfire.net, zero.webappsecurity.com) and
I've done some tests to verify Javascript execution capabilities.

In total, 16 applications were tested. I've tried to cover all the
major platforms, therefore I have applications in PHP, ASP, ASP.NET
and Java.

The report can be found at http://drop.io/anantasecfiles/
The full URL to the PDF document:
http://drop.io/download/497f0f4e/c1d8b2966f85fb8549a18cbe2d789224ea665f45/759c3010-ce68-012b-dcee-f407c7ff11c2/9eeb1f00-cea5-012b-aa7b-f219675fa758/report.pdf/report_pdf.pdf

I've included enough information in this report (the javascript files
used for testing, exact version and URL for all the tested
applications) so anybody with enough patience can verify and reproduce
the results presented here.

Therefore, I will not respond to emails for vendors. You have the
information, fix your scanners!

Best wishes & regards,
anantasec

--
http://anantasec.blogspot.com

Methodologies & Tools for Web Application Security Assessment
With the rapid rise in the number and types of security threats, web application security assessments should be
considered a crucial phase in the development of any web application. What methodology should be followed? What tools
can accelerate the assessment process? Download this Whitepaper today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=70170000000940F

--
Warm Regards
Love Wadhwa