WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Remote Desktop Security - Compliance VS Pen-Test

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:04:50 -0400

(I don't want to branch out this conversation)
Don't you belive that compliance and Pen-Test is 2 different domains?

Let me explain what I think, compliance is for marketability but it also
ensure that a client is doing at least the MINIMUM. The goal is always to aim
to at least the minimum. But it is minimum at everything, and this is
important (everything important..)

Pen-Test will do a maximum damage with minimal effort I know. It will
probably succeed, but Pen-Test is covered in a compliance check as of SOX and
COBIT. A Pen-Test is aiming at proving security can still improve and should
be used as such because we all know that most if not every network can be
penetrated. It should be a mean with which you can prove to management that
you still need some funding.

I'd like to point out to the quote I use in my emails:
"Everything that can fail, will fail. If something can't fail, it will fail
anyway" - Murphy

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH, Network+, Server+, A+
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest () transforce ca
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca

Vous pourriez imprimer ce courriel, mais faire pousser un arbre c'est long.
You could print this email, but it does takes a long time to grow trees.