WebApp Sec mailing list archives

The Extended HTML Form attack revisited

From: publists () enablesecurity com
Date: 18 Jun 2008 13:13:39 -0000

Hi -

Back in 2002 I had published details of a vulnerability affecting most web browsers. It detailed a security flaw that
allows attackers to abuse non-HTTP protocols to launch Cross Site Scripting attacks even when a target web application
was not vulnerable to XSS.

Six years later I'm releasing an update to this research in this paper. This security vulnerability still affects
popular web browsers nowadays and the following browsers were tested as vulnerable:

   * Internet Explorer 6
   * Internet Explorer 7
   * Internet Explorer 8 (beta 1)
   * Opera 9.27
   * Opera 9.50
   * Safari 1.32
   * Safari 3.1.1

Others have described how to abuse behavior for purposes other than Cross Site Scripting. NGSSoftware previously
published a paper called "Inter-Protocol Exploitation" which references the original EyeonSecurity paper.

Paper at:
http://resources.enablesecurity.com/resources/the%20extended%20html%20form%20attack%20revisited.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/5d88ll

--