WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: OpenID and the web

From: "Chris Grove" <cgrove () imperva com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:02:05 -0700

I'm my opinion, SSO works best for companies that have many disconnected
internal applications and want to make password management easier for
its internal users.  SSO is generally installed on the webservers and
app servers, and checks to see who the logged in user is, than applies
the appropriate credentials for the requested resource.

Storing passwords locally for use with separate websites gives the user
the 'feeling' of SSO, but in my opinion is not truly SSO. I would
consider that more of a password replay application...

Regards,
Chris Grove, CISSP, NSA-IAM
Professional Services Consultant

+1 (813) 508-8591 Mobile