WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Seeking feedback on proposed security restriction in the browsers

From: Amit Klein <aksecurity () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:53:22 +0200

anurag.agarwal () yahoo com wrote:
Hi Amit
>>For one, it doesn't fully handle situations in which the XSS payload can
>>write compromised data to another (publicly accessible, or at least
>>attacker accessible) part of the site. For example, an XSS payload may
>>take the cookie value and "store" it in another part of the site, such
>>as a page to where comments can be submitted. The attacker then only
>>needs to frequently poll this section of the site and collect the data.
I agree but the extent of damage could be limited. For one they wont be able to remotely control the victim browser.

Not necessarily. An attacker could deposit instructions in the comments page, which may be read and acted upon by the XSS payload. It's not as fast as the standard methods, but it does prove a 2-way communication line between the attacker and the XSS payload.

The other thing is if the attacker stores the data on the server (like in the approach you mentioned) then from the forensics point of view at least it would be clearer to find who the victims were...

There are ways around this. The XSS payload may have the attacker's public key hard-wired in it. It may then encrypt data using that public key before storing it in the comments page. This way only the attacker can decrypt the data. Forensics can thus obtain meta-data (size, timestamp), but not the data itself.

-Amit