WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Exploiting reflected XSS vulnerabilities, where user input must come through HTTP Request headers

From: kuza55 <kuza55 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:27:52 +1000

Contents:
=======================================
1.0 Introduction
2.0 The User_Agent Header
3.0 (Known) Firefox & Safari Request Header Injection (Sometimes)
4.0 Attacking Caching Proxies
5.0 References

1.0 Introduction
=======================================
Ever since Adobe patched Flash player to stop attackers spoofing
certain headers such as Referer, User-Agent, etc, it has been
considered impossible to exploit XSS vulnerabilities where the user
input is taken from a request header, e.g. when a website prints out
what User-Agent a user's browser is sending, without escaping it. With
the exception of the Referer header which we can control enough to
exploit XSS attacks through it.

I want to showcase several ways in which we can still exploit these
vulnerabilities.

The rest of the write-up is at:
http://kuza55.blogspot.com/2007/07/exploiting-reflected-xss.html