WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Abstracting DB Schema from Web Forms

From: Greg Willits <lists () gregwillits ws>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:06:05 -0700

On Aug 18, 2007, at 9:57 AM, Jason Troy wrote:
On 8/15/07, Greg Willits  wrote:
I have a question whether this practice I'm  about to describe is
good, unnecessary, or just falls within the "whatever floats your
boat" category.

I asked my co-workers your question - here's what a couple said....

Jason, thanks for the effort and the feedback.

Obviously the point isn't to use obscurity in lieu of actual defensive programming against injection, I was just wondering how many people did it as an extra "layer" (however thin it may be). The more concentric rings of difficulty/defense, the better I figure.

These days I do it as much for separation of data/view as anything else (so view/form code can interact with db, web services, etc).

As for extra work, I've created a general purpose mapper / ORM-ish layer doing all the translation, and throughout the app I can use the abstracted name, so it really doesn't feel like extra work at all when coding -- even when creating new apps.

So, I guess it floats my boat, but it's not a tsunami.

-- greg willits