WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: SQL Injection and XSS testing,

From: "Matteo Meucci" <matteo.meucci () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:49:11 +0100

Hi John,
take a look at the OWASP Testing Guide.

In particular:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Testing_for_SQL_Injection
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Testing_for_Cross_site_scripting

Here you can find the testing techniques and a set of open source
tools to use for this purpose.

For XSS and SQL Injection cheat sheet (by RSnake):
http://ha.ckers.org/xss.html
http://ha.ckers.org/sqlinjection/

Cheers,
Mat

--
Matteo Meucci
OWASP-Italy Chair, CISSP, CISA

On 2/24/07, IRM <irm () iinet net au> wrote:
Dear all,

Excuse me for this basic question. Just wondering in regards to the SQL
injection, is it sufficient to insert the input with "1=1--" to test
whether a site is vulnerable to the SQL injection? How much level of
assurance can we get by testing the SQL injection limited to "1=1--"?

If I am not wrong I guess most of the security aspects in Web
application are mainly around input validation. So I was wondering is
there any free open source software to automate all the input? Or maybe
a list of stuff that usually need to test? Say SQL Injection or XSS? Is
there a list of parameters kind of cheat sheet?

John,

Securing a web application goes far beyond testing the application using
manual processes, or by using automated systems and tools. Watchfire's
"Web Application Security: Automated Scanning or Manual Penetration
Testing?" whitepaper examines a few vulnerability detection methods -
specifically comparing and contrasting manual penetration testing with
automated scanning tools. Download it today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=701500000008fH6