WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Open Source Application Vulnerability Assessment Tools

From: "Arian J. Evans" <arian.evans () anachronic com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 18:33:07 -0500

ps - In my haste below I failed to clarify that
I meant "open source domain" in reference to automation.

There are a variety of commercial tools, but in
the non-commercial space, nothing (worth using). </0.02>

For manual tools, WebScarab and Paros are easy and
WebScarab has become quit feature rich. Ben, you
might try taking a look at WebScarab and extending
that, instead of starting YALGRITLPWP (yet another
lets go re-invent the local proxy wheel project).

It's simply too hard to pronounce to be successful.

-ae

(though nobody has made an OSS web fuzzer worth
anything; the only thing close is Burp Intruder.
Which tells me there are a lot of "web app security
consultants" that do not provide much depth in
their pen testing process, unless everybody's got
a Peach Fuzzer/SPIKE script in their back pocket
and I simply haven't heard about it

In the mean time, this would be a good project)