WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Two-Factor Authentication on the Web

From: <Glenn.Everhart () chase com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 08:43:48 -0400

A biometric in practice is NOT your DNA, fingerprint, etc., but some data representation of
something like this, the way it gets used in computers. That can be tied to an individual PROVIDED someone is making
very very sure that individual generates the signal that goes into the representaion, and PROVIDED nothing is
interfering with the translation. People leave their fingerprints and DNA all over the place, so that obtaining a fake
input for a sensor is relatively easy. Also, how often do people using fingerprints actually watch those entering them,
or better yet inspect their fingers? (Play-Doh fake fingerprints might show, but transparent ones made of gel?) Worst
thing about biometrics is they must be guarded so that fakes cannot be gathered for ~100 years. I do not relish the
prospect of needing to wear gloves the rest of my life, and have no idea how anyone could prevent collection of his DNA.

A signature is actually a better biometric in that it requires conscious effort to produce, and a copied one can
sometimes be identified by pointing out it is identical to the original. Trouble is that it does not lend itself to
electronic testing. I would suggest though that anything that is to be used as a "signature" should require conscious
activity by the subject, which should make it harder for others or their mechanized agents to "authenticate" as someone
without the someone's knowing.

Glenn Everhart