WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Research Builds BrowserShield

From: "Sap ." <0xsapx0 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 12:34:46 -0700

What does a robust browser have to do with insecure code? If code is
written to maliciously perform an action, it is not the browsers
responsibility to sanitize the code, it just renders it properly based
off standards, regardless of the codes intended action.

SaP

On 9/6/06, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl> wrote:
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 bugtraq () cgisecurity net wrote:

> "We basically intercept the Web page, inject our logic and transform the
> page that is eventually rendered on the browser," Wang said. "We're
> inserting our layer of code at run-time to make the Web page safe for
> the end user."

Sure sounds saner than, say, writing a reasonably robust browser.

/mz

As web applications become increasingly complex, tremendous amounts of
sensitive data - personal, medical and financial - are exchanged, and
stored. Consumers expect and demand security for this information. This
whitepaper examines a few vulnerability detection methods - specifically
comparing and contrasting manual penetration testing with automated
scanning tools. Download "Automated Scanning or Manual Penetration
Testing?" today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=701500000008Vmm