WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: [WEB SECURITY] RE: Environment for testing WebApp Security Scanners

From: "Joseph Peloquin" <jpelo1 () jcpenney com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:46:48 +0200

|-----Original Message-----
|From: Jeff Robertson [mailto:jeff.robertson () digitalinsight com]
|Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:09 AM
|To: enis.karaarslan () ege edu tr; Evans, Arian; rwp () gmx de
|Cc: websecurity () webappsec org; webappsec () securityfocus com
|Subject: RE: [WEB SECURITY] RE: Environment for testing WebApp
|Security Scanners

|"Real-life" programs meaning applications intended for actual
|use, not just for security benchmarking? Wouldn't you want to
|fix the vulns you find in those, thereby ruining their value
|as benchmarks?

More like, "real life", meaning they are written *like* programs
intended for actual use, but are used for security benchmarking instead.
As in, nobody would ever deploy a "real" webapp that looked like webgoat
(which is a poor benchmarking tool as well).

I haven't looked at the apps yet, but surely a disclaimer says something
to the effect of, "you're a complete moron if you deploy these apps for
use in a production environment."

-jp