WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Mozilla Firefox can't disable browser cache. Why?

From: mark <mark () cyanox nl>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:41:24 +0200

This is most likely due to Firefox having a memory cache too.

You can find all Firefox cache settings when going to the about:config page.

Search for cache and you will be able to find the memory caching.

smith.norton () gmail com wrote:
I have two pages.

a.php
------

<?php
Header("Pragma: no-cache"); #HTTP 1.0
Header("Cache-control: private, no-cache, no-store");
Header("Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT");
?>

<head>
<title>1st Page</title>
</head>
This is the first page.<br>

b.html
------
<head>
<title>2nd Page</title>
</head>
This is the second page.<br>

Then I try the following steps:-

1. Open http://[mysite]/a.php
2. Click the link on it to go to b.html.
3. Then click on "Work Offline" from the "File" menu of the browser.
4. Hit the back button.

I am expecting that on pressing the back button I shouldn't be able to get a.php since caching was disabled.

When I try the above steps with Internet Explorer, I am unable to get back a.php in "offline" mode. So this is OK.

But, when I try the above steps with Mozilla Firefox, I am able to get back a.php in "offline" mode even though caching
was disabled.

Why didn't Mozilla Firefox obey the directives in the HTTP Headers?

Watchfire was recently named the worldwide market leader in Web application security assessment tools by both Gartner and IDC. Download a free trial of AppScan today and see why more customers choose AppScan then any other solution. Try it today! https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/appscancamp.aspx?id=701500000008VnB