WebApp Sec mailing list archives

SF new column announcement: E-mail privacy in the workplace

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:43:53 +1000

Hi,
I am not stating illegality. There is no mention of contracting criminal acts as criminal acts cannot be contracted.

As an example, in NSW you can state the level of monitoring. NSW does not stop an employer from monitoring an employee;
rather it limits what may be done without consent. Consent may be included as a term in the contract. Thus, the
contract can allow the employer to monitor all emails of the employees.

To take the NSW "Workplace Surveillance Bill 2005", Part 2 Notification of workplace surveillance of
Employees; covers this. It states;
"Surveillance of an employee must not commence without prior notice in writing to the employee." It also includes that
"Notice by email constitutes notice in writing for the purposes of this section."

Now it is true that there is never to be camera monitoring of rest rooms - but this is hardly an issue with email for
instance.

As for the contractual agreement, part 2-14 states;

"Exemption for certain surveillance by agreement
Surveillance of an employee is taken to comply with the requirements of this Part if the employee (or a body
representing a substantial number of employees at the workplace) has agreed to the carrying out of surveillance at the
premises or place where the surveillance is taking place for a purpose other than surveillance of employees and the
surveillance is carried out in accordance with that agreement."

This means that it is expressly accepted that an employer may contract for surveillance. The terms are thus valid if
they state that the employer may monitor any and all Internet traffic as defined in the companies policy.

Section 17 states that the employer has to provide a policy and ensure that the employee has been made aware of it.
This may be completed in a contract. The Parole evidence rule means that if the employee agrees to the contract that
they cannot adduce additional evidence from non-written sources - e.g. verbal - to dispute the written contract.

So the issue is not one of covert surveillance, as anything in the contract is thus by definition not covert.

As for the EU, The European privacy Directive states that legitimate processing may include any and all monitoring when:
"It is necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject, or for steps requested by the data subject
prior to a contract"

Thus the rights of the employee may be contracted. This needs to be explicitly included and this means that the
monitoring is not covert but covered in a formal and open company policy, but it does allow the inclusion of terms that
allow the monitoring of employee internet traffic and emails.

Regards,
Craig