WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: OT: Inserting Ads without breaking the SSL

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:56:12 -0400

Saqib Ali wrote:
I would not believe it possible as you describe it. Have you seen this
happen?

I have not seen it myself. But I plan to visit Santa Clara and try it
out in next couple of days. But I found their technique to be very
strange, cause they clearly says that NO software installation
required on their website. So I figured it must be some kind of proxy
that modify the HTML pages. But that would certainly break SSL.

It is not difficult to implement a transparent proxy that does this for
regular HTTP traffic leaving the other traffic completely alone. There
are many examples to look at and I suspect this is really just an
extension of captive portals.

I thought other readers of this list may have seen / implemented
something like this. Thus the question.

There have been MITM tools released and they can be effective but
generally rely on the user making a mistake. I would doubt the SSL is
being touched at all.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net