WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Is disabling browser caching secure?

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:22:26 +0200

smith.norton () gmail com wrote:
Many articles on the net speaks of disabling browser caching.

I don't feel its secure because even if a browser faithfully follows the protocol, a programmer might write a small
browser of his own which caches all pages.

What do others say?

Patient: Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do *THIS*!

Doctor:  Well, don't DO that!

App designers cannot be held responsible for non-compliant client software. All they can do is a best effort, since they do not have control over what the client uses (in most cases, corporate standards aside)

If a programmer wants to write a custom browser that ignores cache control instructions, then he should be aware of the consequences. Similarly a user, should they choose to use a non-standard (not widely used, anyway) piece of software without understanding the implications, is responsible for the consequences.

Rogan