WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Win2k3 logging the IP address of failed FTP attempts

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:07:01 -0500

IIS logging is performed independently of the operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2000/en/server/iis/htm/core
/iiabtlg.htm

There are several tools you could use to parse the IIS logs and
dump them into event viewer entries. I once used some flakey
web agents from Pentasafe, unsure if NetIQ has maintained these.

Surely there are others, too. McAfee Entercept has an IIS agent,
and eEye still sells "SecureIIS", you might see if either
of these do this sort of thing. Or feature-request from the
vendor. You also could write a WSH script to do this and
then run it through the Windows scheduler.

I used to do something similar to recycle Citrix nFuse sessions,
and it worked fine.

Since you simply need to parse text files, I'm sure there
are a hundred ways to skin that cat.

-ae