WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: How to create (hijacking) secure HTTP sessions?

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:37:01 -0500

Do not mix SSL sections with non-SSL sections.

What do you mean by this?

Mark cookies "secure".

Thanks for that point!

I believe he means don't mix encrypted and unencrypted
content in the same security domain.

Some folks take images and other high-overhead items
and *do not* encrypt them for performance reasons, but
keep them in the same FQDN/security zone/domain
e.g.--www.domain.com/

Problem is, if your session token is a cookie, or
anything else the browser automagically coughs up,
then a call to:

http://www.domain.com/non-SSL-speedy-content

Will potentially pass sensitive info in the clear,
like the user session token if token=cookie.

Marking cookies =secure means that the browser
shouldn't pass them in clear if a mistake like
this is made, but I haven't tested that on anything
but IE.

-ae