WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Web Browser For Penetration Test

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:29:47 -0500

There are a number of IE plugins I've found out there, but
most don't seem to work right with the newest IE 6 or 7.

Same with Firefox's extensions; they work great *except*
several cannot capture or manipulate POSTdata, and a few
force you to deal with browser encoding requirements,
significantly limiting proper XSS testing.

Fiddler works great, unless you test SSL protected sites,
which is the majority of what I work on. btw// If we can
get the OK from Microsoft, we want to dump the fiddler code
into our .NET proxy (see Paraegis project/BlackHat Europe
2006) we just released as we have support for SSL built in,
and it would significantly extend Fiddler.

Ecyware GreenBlue Inspector is another very nice IE-interface
for testing web applications. The GUI is very fast and simple
for testing things like XSS, SQL injection, and method enforcement.

If you want a local proxy, there are a ton out there for free
or low prices, with a wide array of strengths and weaknesses:
-OWASP WebScarab
-Paros
-Watchfire Powertools (nice free windows proxy)
-Burp Suite (one of the best GUI fuzzers around built in)
-Odysseus (I personally don't like the GUI)
-there are probably 15 more and new projects keep cropping
up all the time.

I'm almost done with the third version of the OWASP tools list
which will be in PDF, and has a ton of these type of tools
categorized by testing features.

-ae