WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Non SSL Bank Login Forms

From: "James Strassburg" <JStrassburg () directs com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:05:19 -0500

This bothers me a great deal too.  When my bank first did this I viewed
the page source to make sure that the post secure.  This is not possible
for novice users.  Where I work, we train employees on security and part
of that training involves teaching them to look for the SSL lock.
Afterwards, I usually get a few people asking about their bank's website
because there is no lock icon.  It seems that more and more banks (and
other sites) want the login form on the start page but they don't want
SSL there.

It seems to me that the way browsers handle SSL notification is a bit
flawed.  When visiting a page, I really don't care about how the page
I'm viewing arrived.  I care about how the forms I type information into
are going to leave my machine.  Instead of the SSL lock icon in
browsers, how about doing something similar for the form input boxes.
The browser could check the post action for a match to https://.* or
check the current connection if the protocol is not specified in the
action.  The hard part would be manipulating the control in a way that a
malicious site (or XSS attack) couldn't also do so using javascript.

Perhaps the SSL icon could be accompanied by a warning message (like the
certificate warning) when there is any form on the page that will post
insecurely.

On a somewhat related topic, I'd also like a warning when I'm posting to
a different domain.

James Strassburg