WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Comparison report on web app security scanners

From: <Holger.Peine () iese fraunhofer de>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 11:12:31 +0200

As I had mentioned in another posting to this list some time ago,
a few months ago I completed a fairly extensive review of various
tools: AppScan, WebInspect, Acunetix, (note AppScan and WebInspect
have produced new versions since then), Burp, WebScarab, Spike Proxy,
and some minor remarks on a few other tools. I used two applications as
benchmarks: WebGoat and a proprietary application in production use.
The report totals to about 170 pages.

A number of people have expressed their interest in this report.
Today I have finally attained a publication permit. You can download
the report at
http://fhgonline.fraunhofer.de/server?suche-publica&num=048.06/D&iese
(that page will give the abstract and bibliographic information; click
on the red link named "Volltext" to get at the actual PDF). However,
note
that the report is in German. I regret that I do not have the time
to translate it, but anyone is invited to volunteer (and some people
already have). If you want to help in translating, drop me a line
(this applies even to those who already did, just to give me an updated
picture); I will collect all volunteer addresses and distribute them
next week, and from then on, you'll be on your own.

Kind regards,
Holger Peine

--
Dr. Holger Peine, Security and Safety
Fraunhofer IESE, Fraunhofer-Platz 1, 67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany