WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: yahoo mail login security

From: "Sels, Roger" <roger.sels () gov-fbi net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 23:03:33 +0200 (CEST)

1. Realistically this wouldn't add an extra layer of security, but rather
an obfuscation layer. Now I know a lot of people will disagree, and in my
defense, I'll say it's obviously better to send the MD5 hash over SSL than
over plain HTTP.
This said, once a MITM attack is succesfully carried out on the
unsuspecting victim, it falls pray to the same replay attacks which caused
Yahoo to move away from the MD5 hash to start with.

2. Sessions are recognized through a series of cookies set by hotmail.
Sniffing the URL someone is using to access their hotmail account will not
gain you access to that mailbox.
I don't see why non-SSL content couldn't be mixed with SSL-protected
content, but I don't really see a point in encrypting those communications
anyways.
It's a free, public e-mail service. You know up front what you are getting.
Also consider it really helps local law enforcement agencies: it makes it
easier to monitor e-mail conversations as the technically clueless reveals
his master plans for world domination using hotmail or when thieves
discuss the genuinity of a stolen Rembrandt based on pictures they put on
their MSN Space... ;-)

3. Not me, sorry.

Kr

Roger