WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: cookies a fundamental threat (or risk)?

From: Pilon Mntry <pilonmntry () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:40:21 -0700 (PDT)

If I steal your cookies
via the forums (assuming PATH is / and they are both
on X.com), I have
your bank account. Naturally, it doesn't work that
way - just an
example.

You don't even have to assume that. Even if they
(forum and bank applications) use different Paths and
on different domains, you can still have the account.
:)

I'd like to add one more thing, which may seem a
little off-topic:
As G.McGraw points in his book, I think we may use
"risk" instead of "threat" in this case...
Such as, "cookies a fundamental risk?"

good discussion on cookies, xss, paths! while it may
seem old to big guys, it definetely increases
awareness.

-pilon

--- chris m <r0xes.ratm () gmail com> wrote:

Cookies are not a threat to 'todays web
applications'.

It is how they are implemented, and what the
function of what they are
implemented by is (e.g. online banking), and what it
has (e.g.
forums).

If I steal your cookies
via the forums (assuming PATH is / and they are both
on X.com), I have
your bank account. Naturally, it doesn't work that
way - just an
example.

You must properly sanatise input, that's all.
Cookies are in no way insecure.

On 4/29/06, Brian Eaton <eaton.lists () gmail com>