WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: applet security

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:11:18 -0500

If a Web site is distributing safe-for-scripting ActiveX controls as part of
Web application, then these controls need a security audit.  Typical
security problems in ActiveX controls include:

   - Unsafe methods which allow access to the Windows file system or
registry
   - Unsafe methods which allow programs to be executed
   - Unsafe methods for uploading and downloading files
   - Buffer overflow errors in properties and methods
   - Unsafe controls are mistakenly marked safe-for-scripting

Java applets typically run a sandbox inside of a Web browser and are much
less likely to have security problems.

Question for the list:  Does OWASP cover ActiveX security issues at all?
They are part of some Web applications.

Richard M. Smith