WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: WebAppSec appends advertisements to mailing list messages?!

From: "Jason Gregson" <Jason.Gregson () easyi com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:17:24 -0000

Hello all,

Although the line reads "WHAT FOLLOWS BELOW THIS LINE IS COMPLETE
AND..." I don't feel that it was directed at Watchfire and/or your
products. I perceived the line as "What's this advert? I have no control
over it's content", and loosing control is a very scary thing. You may
have been sold the ad but did we agree to get the ad.

Advertising like is this is clearly very rude, if not wrong. The point
is that it was underhand. If we had know all about this when we
subscribed, some of us may have chosen to make our posts elsewhere.

How long will it be until applications are attached and you will see a
message like  - "By reading this message you agree to install
application xyz.exe" or worse "Get you meds here http://sometrash.xom";,
"Increase you girth" etc, etc

We ("some of the 7.5 million unique users" from
http://www.securityfocus.com/advertise) should have least have been
1. Informed before the ads were added
2. Given the option the ability to opt out

At the moment the only ability I have, with regards to the ad's is to
stop the subscription.

As you have suggested, I have included Security focus in the recipients
of this post.

Disappointed (but I suppose it was inevitable)

Jason