WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Tools comparison and evaluation question (AppScan)

From: "King, Stuart (REHQ-LON)" <Stuart.King () reedelsevier com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:36:53 -0000

I've used AppScan v5 and also tested other products by vendors such as SPI
Dynamics.

My personal opinion is that AppScan was useful as a high level point and
shoot evaluation tool. But like all of these tools, it's important that
testing is followed by a proper pen test. The strength of AppScan is in its
reporting and output - the reports look nice on a big screen as opposed to a
more functional but less feature rich tool such as Typhon (which I think is
excellent). However, unless you can meticulously go through the report and
validate and weed out all of the "high risk" XSS vulns that it will be
reporting on, then they can be quite misleading if just used without
validation.

Personally, you can't beat doing a proper grey\white box test. For example,
AppScan wont tell you about poorly implemented encryption and it wont
criticize a weak password policy.

As for good open source tools - well, if you want to do a half decent job of
testing the web app, you can't beat a mark 1 eyeball test of the source
code! I generally use a free proxy tool such as Paros and use the web
spidering functionality of Typhon, but the rest is just down to experience.

Note - just my opinion. Not trying to persuade anyone to buy or form an
opinion of the above mentioned software! There is plenty written about all
of them elsewhere.