WebApp Sec mailing list archives

[SPAM] Re: SF new column announcement: How not to respond to a security advisory

From: "Kurt Seifried" <bt () seifried org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:53:45 -0700

Actually no in this case the "academic" distinction is entirely correct. The file has NOT been replaced, modified, spindled or otherwise mutilated. It still exists, it has the same inode, it stil exists within the original directory structure/etc. Simply put a new directory structure and pointer to a new inode or network file system has been laid overtop of it's parent directory.

What is the suggestion for a "solution" BTW? Everytime I mount a file system it's supposed to traverse the entire file structure "below" the mount point and check for any immutable flags? Do we add some sort of table, everytime a file is set immutable an entry is added so we canjust check the table quickly? No thanks.

Personally I think OpenBSD's response is entirely acceptable and I will continue to use it (in fact I'm moving more servers to it).

P.S. you may want to read up on "accepting risk". Not all risk must be mitigated/etc.

P.P.S The quote" Here is a perfectly reasonable response that could have been used in place of what was offered.

"Due to inherent weaknesses with the securelevel system, securelevels will not be included in any future release of OpenBSD.""

Is a straw man, OpenBSD is unlikely to remove a feature that doesn't cause harm and more importantly and removing them would require touching a lot of code and potentially introducing a new set of security flaws.

This is one of the weakest articles I've ever read, it simply comes across as whinging (a step down from whining).

-Kurt