WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Web Application for project

From: f_kenisky () earthlink net
Date: 11 Oct 2005 18:22:11 -0000

Hello to all.

I hope this message finds it's way to this group.  It’s a long winded post which I hope I can summarize quickly but
fully explain.

I am working on a web project to assist with a disaster recovery effort that can be used worldwide.  Big task.  Simple
idea.

Working with the ARC here in San Antonio as a volunteer IT staff person and during a few meetings I discovered the need
for a quick type of web based program that could be set up at the time of a crises and used by many.

Here's the basic concept.

To have software that can be installed on a web server that can be used to keep a database of volunteers, evacuees and
equipment.

I call the project Disaster Asset Management Network or The DAMN Project.  After the Katrina disaster I noticed several
specials on the discovery and history channels.  They focused on what went wrong during disasters and the reasons these
things went wrong.

Now we can arm chair quarter back this thing till we're satisfied the right person got the blame but the common thread
I thought I saw was the ability to quickly react to the problem with the right resources.

How can a web-based application do this?  The first thing is that this DAMN project does require some community
involvement and corporation.  The immediate aftermath of Katrina brought about a need for a quick reaction to help the
survivors.  People were separated from families.  Equipment was donated, loaned, borrowed etc.  And volunteers expert
in IT were used as kitchen help.

Looks like a serious fire drill run in zero gravity.

An application that could be developed that would address these three areas would be of great benefit to any area that
suffers a disaster.  With the problems in Guatemala or India and Pakistan these natural problems are pretty much here
to stay not to mention man made problems.

I’m trying to set up a Forum / WIKI to get things rolling so people can set up test sites and others can begin writing
code.  I want this to be an open source project so that anyone who needs it can use it.

Thanks for any help.