WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Securing data from the browser to the DB

From: Yousef Syed <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:13:53 +0000

Hi guys,
I need to secure data from the browser all the way to the DB (Oracle 10g).
At the moment we're setting "No Cache" and using HTTPS; then
encrypting the data on the Webserver before transfering it across to
the DB, where it will be Encrypted again.

Now, I've been told that reports will be run on the DB by a separate
tool that will not go via the Web Server or J2EE Application Server.
Now, I don't see how we can encrypt on the Webserver if another
reporting tool will access the DB, by passing our
Encryption/Decryption code.

Given this situation, what is the best way to go about securing the
data and making it available to other systems?

Thanx,
ys

--
Yousef Syed
'One senior official said the consultancy "doesn't have the greatest