WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: myspace hack (History of XSS)

From: Jeff Robertson <Jeff.Robertson () DigitalInsight com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:29:15 -0400

Yeah. I remember reading about the same-origin issues. They were fixed very
early, I thought.

The first time I remember seeing what we *NOW* call XSS, was in forums and
guestbooks and such. The irrestible tempation for anyone who knew javascript
was to go to these sites and post a message consisting of:

  <script>alert("I rock!");</script>

Of course more mean-spirited folks might try something like:

  <script>window.close();</script>

This was before the browser would prompt the user about allowing close()
method to execute. That post would immediately close the browsers of
everyone who tried to access the page, effectively causing denial of
service.

Very soon afterwards, the developers of these web applications starting
trying all kinds of tricks to allow "safe" HTML (like <b> and <i>) to be
used while banning the evil <script>.

As the myspace business shows, this war is still being escalated like some
kind of Itchy and Scratchy cartoon.

Jeff Robertson
Manager of Web Application Security
Digital Insight