WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: GET and POST Methods Accepted

From: "Derick Anderson" <danderson () vikus com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:00:48 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: christopher baus [mailto:christopher () baus net]
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 2:04 PM
To: webappsec () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: GET and POST Methods Accepted

Anyway I share this only because the original post seemed
to focus on
GET vs. POST more than XSS. I restrict GET as much as
possible in site
development because it can expose the inner workings of the
site and
secure methodology or not, we all miss something from time to time.

I don't understand this philosophy.  If you forget what is
visible in the web browser and look at what is put on the
wire, which is trivially viewed with packages like ethereal,
the only difference between GET and POST requests is that the
parameters for GET requests are on the request line and
parameters for POST requests are in the body.  To me the
security implications are practically identical.

I think you are neglecting the human element a bit: if I hadn't seen the
URL string I wouldn't have thought to try cracking it. Sure, a
determined hacker/pentester will use ethereal to see what's going on,
but your average bored university student won't think to do it during
class. If I go to a site and I see
"site/page.asp?id=something&token=something" I get a lot more curious
than just seeing "site/page.asp".

Having said that I agree with you from a technical standpoint: what goes
over the wire goes over the wire, and cookie, post, or get, it doesn't
make a difference. But imagine now that the site is encrypted over SSL
(which in my case, it was) and it becomes less trivial.

Derick Anderson