WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Ajax Security discussion for the OWASP Guide

From: John Manko <jmanko () johnmanko com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:37:36 -0400

The "client/server interactions" that are taking place needs to be divided into two security aspects: from the perspective from the client, and from the perspective from the server. If I'm developing a web application and implementing AJAX features, the only concern I have is validitating that the request is coming from a legitimate user session and that the request is functionally acceptable. The user's security concern is of no consequence to me. Now, as a user, it would be nice to know if a page to communicating to a remote server. Perhaps browsers should consider allowing more detailed javascript enable/disable features, apply different rules to different sites, and notifications to user if certain restrictions are violated.

noname () nospace com wrote:

AJAX has the capability of subverting the presumed behavior of a web application, in the sense that even sophisticated
users could not easily tell which client/server interactions are taking place and when. This may have security
implications, for example if an application sends back to the server each keystroke as it is typed; this could
potentially reveal sensitive information (wrong credentials, inadvertently typed by the user, etc.).
It is probably more a problem of policy and of informing the end user of what is going on (and actually not all would
understand what that means... but that's another story).
Basically a new thing to consider is that AJAX may break the usual web application paradigm as we know it.