WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Chroot jails

From: "Wall, Kevin" <Kevin.Wall () qwest com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:54:13 -0500

Antoine Martin writes...

Wondered if people could give me their opinions on chroot jails
AFAIK, chroot on linux is fundamentally insecure - look for the
'chroot-again' flaw.
Last time I checked it still worked and allowed to escape.
A chrooted jail without dropping privileges is vain anyway.
Indeed. Which is why I prefer:
  http://www.suse.de/~marc/compartment.html
Unlike chroot you can drop privileges in one swoop.
It deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

'compartment' looks like like a separate executable, typically
invoked at the shell level.

Is there anything like this in SuSE or other *nix variations that
does something similar to this in a single, atomic system call?
---
Kevin W. Wall           Qwest Information Technology, Inc.
Kevin.Wall () qwest com Phone: 614.215.4788
"The reason you have people breaking into your software all
over the place is because your software sucks..."
 -- Former whitehouse cybersecurity advisor, Richard Clarke,
    at eWeek Security Summit