WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: OWASP Top Ten - why taxing taxonomies?

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:02:00 -0500

There's many reasons but the short answer I'll give is:

I organize my report data in this fashion because:

1. Root cause analysis.

2. The CISO using the data can clearly see that OWASP T10 #10
issues go to the web server admins and #T4 issues go to the
presentation layer developers and #T1 issues go to the business
logic guys.

3. Who cares about XSS?

If you strongly type your data and make intelligent decisions
about output encoding it's unlikely to be an issue.

People will spend weeks going on an XSS bughunt and miss a
few characters that still let one do XSS, or we could spend
the same two weeks implement strong presentation I/O handling
and kill many birds with one stone.

YMMV, of course. Whatever works for you...

-ae