WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: [WEB SECURITY] Re: Defeating CAPTCHA

From: "Marian Ion" <marian.ion () e-licitatie ro>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:39:11 +0300

        Maybe it will not be such a good ideea ... especially if some mobile
communication providers would have some network issues on a critical moment ...
And such a method will be based also on a pre-defined algorithm, possibly easy
to learn, to implement.

        On a longer term, maybe a faster implementation of IP6 will bring some
new logging / blocking possibilities (based, for example, on "sender
validation"), supported also by a strict legislation.
        Also, applications implementations (including CAPTCHA) based on
artificial intelligence will provide improved security on many IT aspects.
Neural nets are becoming smarter, and due to improved optimisations brought by
genetic algorithms, ants or bees algorithms, are learning a lot faster than us,
especially when discussing on repetitive tasks.

        On short term ... better, non-repetitive CAPTCHAs, based on random
lengths and characters types, with several effects applied on the generated
image, are probably the best way.
        Also, the implementation of "expiration" events, based on time passed
without a reply message or manual (or automatic) validation, or something
similar would do good. And also some application filters, in listing the
records, to ignore/eliminate some garbage data.

Marian Ion