WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Defeating CAPTCHA

From: Mark Burnett <mb () xato net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:32:29 -0600

The problem with coming up with effective CAPTCHA's is that the dataset should not rely on obscurity or secrecy to
work. Anyone can come up with hard questions that can consistently trip up a computer, but how effective would those
questions be if the adversary had access to your question/answer database? Many ideas I hear for CAPTCHA's rely solely
upon the secrecy of the data set. And that is security that relies upon obscurity.

Try coming up with a CAPTCHA where the code is public, the dataset is public, and the only secret is the randomness
generated for each individual test, and you will find that it is quite difficult. The problem, in part, is that we want
a machine to generate a test that another machine with the same data cannot solve, but that a human can. We can bypass
that by having humans come up with the questions, but that means they also need to store the answers for verification,
again bringing us back to the problem that we are relying upon the secrecy of the data.

Another mistake that people often make with CAPTCHA's are questions with multiple choice answers. If you asked a
question like "Which of these strawberries is most rotten?" you would have to provide enough pictures to reduce the
significance of a luck guess. Even if you had 10 possible answers to select from, that might not be effective in
stopping a spammer from setting up massive free e-mail accounts. It might statistically take them 10 times as long but
they can still do it. However, if you provide too many answers, the chances of several good answers increases, making
it less effective. How many times have you taken a multiple choice test and there are two answers that, in your
opinion, would work? Especially in the case of a subjective question such as which strawberry is most rotten.

It is definitely a good challenge and it will be cool seeing someone someday solve this problem.

Mark Burnett