WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Securing PDF file on a Website

From: "Kurt Seifried" <bt () seifried org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:35:28 -0600

Much simpler to have a password protected directory in IIS or Apache or whatever and just require them to enter a password and username to access to the directory with the file in it (they can remember a username and password I hope =). Or require a user SSL certificate if you're very paranoid (but then you get into building a CA< issuing certificates, etc, a very non trivial amount of work).This is covered in the IIS and Apache documentation. For example what I use on my server to restrict access to the /admin/ directory:

$ cat /var/www/html/admin/.htaccess

AuthType Basic
AuthName "admin area"
AuthUserFile /var/www/etc/passwd
AuthGroupFile /var/www/etc/group
require group admin

$ cat /var/www/etc/group
admin:kurt

$ cat /var/www/etc/passwd
kurt:9273tf9gwq(not my real password obviously)

use htpasswd and a text editor to create your password and groups file, very simple as you can see.

In IIS:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/cc461c52-7a1b-4fd8-a790-128339056bba.mspx

Also use an SSL enabled server (HTTPS) so that attackers can't sniff credentials (or simply copy the document).

But if you like needless complication and creating new security issues the program to create the PDF on the fly is the way to go.

-Kurt Seifried
http://seifried.org/security/