WebApp Sec mailing list archives

GMail blocking "executable" attachments

From: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:18:31 -0400

All-

I've noticed that G-Mail blocks attachments that contain "executable"
files. (A zip file containing an .MDB, and even a zip file containing a
zip file containing an .MDB). I assume they'd block all the usual
suspects, but isn't that sort of the point of sending e-mails with
attachments? Renaming the enclosed .MDB to .TXT allows it to be send
through, so it's not really a major problem. Do you think Google should
be deep-scanning the files for content, or just the extension, and would
running a virus detector against it be just as good?

No real issue here, I just thought it was interesting-not sure if other
major email providers do the same thing.

Regards,

Michael Scovetta
Computer Associates
Senior Application Developer