WebApp Sec mailing list archives

random character checking at logon

From: <jimtames () yahoo com>
Date: 20 Apr 2005 14:59:54 -0000

Hi,

Any advice on this puzzle would really be appreciated.

We have a policy for internet based login that passwords shouldn't be entered in full. Random characters from the
password are prompted for- e.g. 2nd, 3rd, last.

Separately we have a policy that passwords shouldn't be stored in the clear on the backend - one-way hashes are
preferred.

Nothing unusual in either of those policies, but satisfying both requirements is proving difficult.

I have a solution which works but is ugly and consumes a lot of database resources, namely to hash all possible
combinations of a userid, the prompted for positions and their correct values. Authentication consists of looking for a
match on the table of hashes. Password changes require large numbers of deletions and insertions from the table.

I would be interested if anyone has a more elegant solution.

Tim