WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: <warnings () envisagement com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:50:05 -0700

Inline

----- Original Message ----- From: "dave kleiman" <dave () isecureu com>
To: <webappsec () securityfocus com>
Sent: Sunday 26 June 2005 11:07 AM
Subject: RE: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

Inline

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Tsentsarevsky [mailto:michael.t () zahav net il]

1. I am sorry to say, but the SSL protocol had become a
"security stamp"
for a web site.
That is' if the site's owner had spent the 2k
bucks for a certificate, most of the users will think the web
site is "secured"
(talk about users education). In real life nothing is farther
from the truth!

At present it is an excellent layer of protection and encryption for the
individual transaction. It is the only common well known one we have. There
are a few companies that make products to add layers of protection to the
SSL.
The Certs are only about $150 not $2000.

Make that $30.  Paying for a "higher quality" certificate is a joke.  Once
most consumers see the lock they assume it is secure.  I cannot see the
average consumer taking the time to research a certificate to see if they
ran a credit check on your business and such.

In the end, what you get with SSL is the lock symbol and some level
of encryption on communication.  Even encrypted data could be
cracked with a bit of patience (or less if the lesser SSLs get used).

As for encrypting the login page, that is a minor issue.  But doing
so creates the lock and this improves consumer perception.  While
perception is not security, remember that some of use make money
doing this and hence consumer perception matters.  Consumers want
to see the lock when they type in their credit card number.  Consumers
are not typically going to look at the code for the form submission to
see if it uses http or https.  What is necessary and what is perceived
matter equally.

That said, it matters little from a security perspective, but when I ask
for your credit card info I want you to feel as comfortable as possible.

Additionally, there is always the possibility that some type of crack of
a site will be caught because the browser complains that it is submitting
data from a secure page to an insecure link.  Hence securing the login
page can slightly raise the bar on security.  But it is neither necessary
nor sufficient for security.  Yet, if it increases consumer confidence then
it has its own value.  And for $30 a year if you gain one or two small
sales then it has paid for itself.

some thoughts,

Sean