WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: "Derick Anderson" <danderson () vikus com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:33:05 -0400

I don't see how SSL-protecting the login form would protect
you from MITM attacks if the form is submitting to a SSL
protected page.

It really doesn't, unless the web application uses the same session ID
in the SSL session that it does on the unsecured page (if it in fact
begins a session before authentication).

I am like you though.  I think the login forms should be
protected as well.  If only because it helps users know what
forms are and are not SSL-protected.

Chris

I agree as well though my opinion may not count for much. =) Most of the
sites I administer are all SSL, with a port 80 redirect to 443 on the
server. It's a performance hit to be sure, but there's never a question
about what part of my sites are secure.

Derick Anderson.