WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Filtering by client IP address for Web App Sessions

From: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:19:48 -0500

Arian,
  You've got two problems when you rely on source IP:
#1- Even if 90% (or even 99%) of your user population isn't going
through these megaproxies, you're going to have users calling you up
saying they keep getting disconnected (and the ones you get on the phone
won't have a clue what a proxy server is.
#2- If you 'trust' the source IP, then you're leaving a layer of
security vulnerable to spoofing.

So in general, I wouldn't suggest validating based on source IP during
each request. If you're just allowing people from a particular set of
Ips to access a site, that's different--that should be fine. Just don't
rely on the client's IP to stay static. You're better off finding
another way to mitigate XSS attacks (if that's what you're after)

I don't know of any companies other than AOL that do that, but I would
image some anonymous-browsing proxies might set up something like that.

Michael Scovetta
Computer Associates
Senior Application Developer