WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: SAML implementation

From: Yuri Demchenko <demch () chello nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:32:56 +0100

Rishi Pande wrote:

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I am looking into implementing a SAML authority for one of the authentication products I work on. I haven't been able to find a good whitepaper on how to go about it, other than at Ping's SourceID but that does not explicitly mention any implementation discussions. Any leads are appreciated.

You may want to look at OpenSAML and Shibboleth implementation that use SAML for mostly AuthN and Attribute handling.

Shibboleth is a very successful development by Internet2 Middleware initiative. So, you can find a lot of info there:
http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/
http://middleware.internet2.edu/

WS and Grid also define std AuthZ framework using SAML:

GFD.38 Conceptual Grid Authorization Framework and Classification. http://www.ggf.org/documents/GWD-I-E/GFD-I.038.pdf

GT 3.9.4 Authorization Framework. - http://www-unix.globus.org/toolkit/docs/development/3.9.4/security/authzframe/

Note. SAML itself can be only a component of a complex AuthZ or AuthN and identity mngnt infrastructure. You will need to have AuthN/Z services, Attribute and Policy authorities, user directories, key management, etc. But still SAML is a solution to provide a standard format for security assertions that will allow you to implement message/document basic security model.

For SAML 1.1 and SAML 2.0 internal structure and its relation to other stds for AuthN and AuthZ and one more usecase you can also look this:

Using SAML and XACML for Authorisation assertions and messaging: SAML
and XACML standards overview and usage examples.
http://www.uazone.org/demch/analytic/draft-authz-xacml-saml-01.pdf