WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Smart card proposal

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:59:06 +0100

Glenn_Everhart () bankone com wrote:
I wonder with these smartcards that have PIN pads so you authenticate to the
card...

Can they be "hotwired", i.e., have an emulator that grabs their data but pretends
to have the PIN and just talks to whatever? (Obviously nobody would likely
alter the actual smartcard, but if the data thereof could be dumped, what assures
a back end that the real smartcard, and not an emulator with its data, is there?
Thus what assures the card has been authenticated to?

The whole point of using a smart card is that it cannot be copied. (That is, without tunneling electron microscopes, acid baths, etc). The firmware in the smart card does not support a "give me the bitstream of the private key" operation.

So, it really is "something you have, and something you know".

The above statement *does* assume that the private key is generated in the card itself. This is the "correct" way to do it. However, I believe that it may be possible to load a private key generated elsewhere onto a smart card. In that case, if someone were able to get a copy of that original private key, they would certainly be able to emulate the smart card

Rogan
--
Rogan Dawes

*ALL* messages to discard () dawes za net will be dropped, and added
to my blacklist. Please respond to "lists AT dawes DOT za DOT net"