WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: php to do input validation...

From: Kevin Carlson <kevin () kcarlson net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:10:47 -0800

Only if it can do things not easily accomplished otherwise.

I generally clean up user input using preg_replace and regular expressions. That's just one extra line of code and arguably more self-documenting than adding more parameters to other functions, or creating new ones....

Kevin

Matthew Wirges wrote:

I thought this was interesting...

http://news.php.net/php.internals/14474

Turns out that there may be input filtering in PHP's future. Maybe even in the next release of 5.x. Read that thread for more information.

My question for webappsec, is do you think its a good idea for a programming language to add this sort of functionality? Does it coddle users? Does it give a false sense of security (especially if they aren't implemented right)? Or do the positives outweigh the negatives?

Cheers,
-matt