WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Proposal to anti-phishing

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:15:35 +1100

I think this is right - the decisions are not technical but commercial and
marketing driven, not sensibility oriented.

Generally, tokens are an expensive solution to prevent a problem after the
identity theft has occurred.  However, the real problem with tokens to
address phishing is that the identity compromise has occurred before the
attacker accesses the persons bank accounts. If the identity is not misused
on-line, it will be misused offline.

The sad reality of phishing and bank education on the topic is a single
message: "never trust email".
The disclaimers on many intra-business emails is similar - "rely on this
email at your peril".

The commercial implications of this 'education' statement and disclaimers is
to halt to future of process improvements and cost savings promised by
Internet and wireless technologies.
Customers are forced to either retrieve content via 'pull' browsing, or wait
for 'push' snail mail before they get vital information.  "Pull"  browsing
technology is so full of holes that banks can't be sure who contacting them,
using unknown technology and patch status, to provide services for which the
bank is financially liable.  The lack of a widpread truly secure browsing
platform forces  dependence on browsers, resulting in a clunky way to
provide on- AND off-line access to customer content.

In the meantime, snail mail firms make a fortune (which they are welcome to)
and customer service remains pathetic (which it shouldn't be in this age).

Lyal