WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Whitepaper "SESSION RIDING - A Widespread Vulnerability in Today's Web Applications"

From: "Thomas Schreiber" <ts () securenet de>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:00:24 +0100

Noah,

You are right that a valid session must still be there which is mentioned in the paper as well. Typically session
lifetimes are around 1/2 to 2 hours in internet applications. In other environments it's much more, sometimes never
ending.

But to my opinion short session lifetime is only a very weak mitigating factor. Just one example to illustrate this: An
attacker might put hundreds of 'effective links' to hundreds of web applications into one malicious web page or email
and send it out to many users. There is a certain chance that he catches a lot of them with an appropriate session
still open.

Web Application Security to me is a concern of the server side, not at first place of the client side. A provider
should be interested in not allowing such kind of vandalism.

  > 2) Less secure sites often allow for persistent cookie 'auto-login'
  > features. These sites are particularly vulnerable to this
  > attack. However,
  > many of these still redirect the user through the login page,
  > then redirect
  > to a 'start' page, rather than the requested page. This
  > effectively strips
  > malicious commands. Further, in the case of eBay, which is not
  > so clearly
  > named in the paper, that DO have an auto-login feature (My eBay), still
  > require entering a password to bid.

In the case where the session has expired it is as you describe. But asking for a password each time a sensitive
command is executed is generally not a practicable solution against session riding (nevertheless, Amazon is a good
counter example where it works well to ask for the password before each order). Additionally, asking the user too often
for his password is bad practice on the semantic layer of Web Application Security: You condition your users to accept
this and make them more susceptible to phishing attacks.

  > Other than that, this is very plausible attack that I would agree hasn't
  > received enough attention. I would also add that in the case of
  > the img tag
  > in the email, an iframe could also be used, similar to recent
  > viruses. It
  > needn't even be visible.

iframes and frames are not allowed in the default configuration of eg. outlook and thunderbird any more. But, yes,
inside the browser this is a trigger as well as are Stylesheets (link-Tag) and others.

Thomas